World of George

ALL GEORGE, ALL THE TIME

Thursday, December 22, 2005

I had one of those nights last night that, I think, every parent dreads. Then, in the middle of the disaster, I witnessed the triumph of my own children. Both occurred within the context of a children's seasonal concert.

If I have not made this clear before now, let's get it on the record for good: I have no interest in other people's children. This is not to suggest that I don't care about any children other than my own; indeed, I have met many children who, as individuals, are unique, interesting, creative individuals, and I enjoy them immensely. What I mean is that I do not have a blind unjudging interest in all things juvenile. It is not enough to push a bunch of little ones onto a stage and expect that I will be impressed. I expect there to be some level of effort or ability demonstrated. I don't think that is asking too much since I am giving up my time to watch them.

Last night was the annual seasonal concert of what was once the play group in which both my girls participated. I'll be honest that I have endured both of my children at a younger age in this event, and can in retrospect say that they weren't very good, although it is also honest to say that when it's them I don't care and that, in fact, it was I think obvious to everyone that they were a heck of a lot better than their companions on the stage. The show started with a group of preschoolers mumbling along to a prerecorded song while doing half-hearted hand gestures under the direction of the play group director and two older children at the front of the stage. This went on for five songs. Included in the show were several weak piano solos, the director's daughter singing a Christmas song rather badly, a drum (!) soloist, and a half dozen traditional Indian or Sri Lankan (I don't know which culture) dances, which were actually quite good although I always find this style of dance rather mannered and the music is hardly upbeat.

Before continuing, let me say that we live in a largely Muslim and Hindu community, with very traditional old country values. In fact, at one point last evening I noted only five white faces in attendance: my family and our local city counsellor. The reason I mention this is that the director had asked both Brittany and Nicole to dance in the show. Brittany elected to do a solo performance of a group number from last year, the techno-country "5, 6, 7, 8". In this song, she wears a silver, white and lime green cowgirl outfit, with a shortish skirt that often flies up to reveal the body suit underneath. Nicole picked a current number called "Shake A Tailfeather". Unfortunately, this routine is still in development and she doesn't yet have a costume, so she wore one of her costumes from last year's recital, wine-coloured spandex shorts with a pale blue spangled top, with her belly showing in between. Before the show, sitting in the audience in their costumes, both girls reported feeling self-conscious about their attire, as if they were being watched and judged harshly. I have no idea if this is true, but it did put me on edge wondering how they would be received by the audience. All we want as parents is to keep our children safe, and I wondered if agreeing to let them dance had been a mistake.

About midway through, with the crowd drifting off, Nicole took the stage. As she told us later, she felt nervous at first, about performing and her outfit, and started off slowly. Very quickly, however, she realized she didn't care, she just wanted to dance, so she let loose. It wasn't perfect - the official routine doesn't even have an ending yet, so she had to improvise and her timing was off. But the audience was definitely into it, and gave her an enthusiastic ovation, not just the usual polite clapping.

After another piano solo, Brittany took the stage. The music had barely started when the crowd started clapping along with the song. It's that type of song, and she fed off the energy of the crowd. The routine was designed for four dancers, but Brittany is further along than Nicole and had developed her own choreography for the parts normally done with another dancer. She hadn't done this dance since last June, and it took quite a bit of practice for all the steps to come back to her. But she received an even better response than her sister, and the audience had enough energy now to get through the rest of the evening. (Later, when her mother, who had to leave right after the performances, asked if anyone said anything to her, she said no, but did indicate that people were taking pictures of her from a distance. 10 years old and pursued by the paparazzi.)

There is no moral to the story, other than perhaps you should invest in professional training if you plan on letting your children perform in public. Oh, and that my kids are better than your kids, nah nah nanah nah.

* * * * *

Today's movie quote is in honour of Toronto City Counsellor Janet Davis, who endured last night's performance with the appearance of one getting much pleasure from the experience, which perhaps she was. My more cynical belief is that she was well aware that the parents of the child whose performance she nods off during may just be the difference between re-election and defeat in the next election, and governed herself accordingly.

"If we're wrong, we go to jail - peacefully, quietly. We'll enjoy it. But if I'm right, and we can stop this thing, . . . then you, Lenny, will have saved the lives of millions of registered voters."
Peter Venkman to the Mayor of New York City, "Ghost Busters" (written by Dan Ackroyd and Harold Ramis, and delivered by the incomparable Bill Murray - in fact, I so enjoyed reviewing the quotes from this movie at www.imdb.com that I will be sharing more in the days to come)

* * * * *

In the words of Nicole, peace out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home