World of George

ALL GEORGE, ALL THE TIME

Saturday, December 17, 2005

This will possibly be the most boring blog ever (although I doubt that given some of the stuff I've come across - learn to spell check, people, if nothing else; oh, and complete disregard for the rules of punctuation and the absence of any semblance of sentence structure aren't creative, they're sloppy). But the machine must be fed if I am to stick to my write every day mantra, regardless of how long the day has been and how empty my brain may be. Hey, you only have to read it, but I have to live this stuff. Pity me.

* * * * *

My Furby hunt during Friday's lunch was successful. On my third store, The Bay across from the Eaton Centre, I had the choice between one of two colour combinations: a brownish pink and a pinkish white. I went with the latter, and got a great price. It's not the black-and-white one that she was hoping for, but I'm sure Brittany will be happy. It's actually pretty cute, and it makes some very odd noises. I also finished off my shopping for Nicole by picking up a pair of Disney on Ice tickets, which her mother will have to endure with her. We previously bought a pair of Hilary Duff concert tickets for Brittany, and that will be Maxine's to bear as well. I think it's fair. If we had boys, it'd be Leafs or Raptors tix - or maybe the Rock - and I would just have to manage.

* * * * *

We spent the day at dance class for open house, from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. watching our girls dance. They are doing great in some classes, less wonderful in others. Brittany does the best and lowest splits of anyone in her classes, but is only minimally attentive in ballet. On the other hand, ballet is like princess class for Nicole, but her splits are less than wondrous. It's still early and what we saw today was very much a work in progress, but things are coming along well for recital. Three more days of this, and then Christmas break.

* * * * *

Monday is my food-and-alcohol shopping day, as well as for Maxine's Christmas present(s). As we did last year, we are having some of her friends and their spouses over for Christmas Eve, for drinks and finger foods. These people are all older than us, with adult children whose plans don't include their parents. They're nice enough, but not my crew, and I will pass my evening filling drinks, preparing food and avoiding too much conversation. Keith and his wife came last year, which got me more involved, and my brother Darren arrived late, as he will again this year. Keith can't make it this year - and, presumably, neither can the amazing cheesecake that his wife brought last year and that I ate almost by myself, for which I am actually thankful given a recent commitment to better eating habits, of which more shall be written in the future - but he and the Mrs. are coming over on December 30, and maybe Jonathan and his wife as well. As for Christmas Day, Darren will be here in the morning and maybe for dinner, and my uncle Sheldon has also been invited, although we are awaiting confirmation on his attendance. Regardless, I only need about a 10-pound turkey, plus all the fixings. Then, on Boxing Day, Maxine's sister Cindy will be coming over from Fort Erie with her family to eat all our leftovers from Christmas and the week before. I shall say no more.

* * * * *

As the girls get older the pile under the tree gets smaller but the cost doesn't go down any. After all, it probably takes 50 or more boxed Gameboy Advance games to equal the volume of one Fisher Price castle. This year, in addition to games, DVDs, books and music, there is an mp3 player in our future (for Brittany) and a karaoke machine (for Nicole). I think the karaoke machine will be a lot of fun for the girls, and I bought 3 CDs with fairly recent songs to get them started. The one we picked can be plugged in to a TV, but it also has a small screen on the unit itself. Both the girls love to sing, and I have a perhaps foolish hope that this will elevate the quality of their many impromptu performances. We shall see.

* * * * *

You've suffered enough. Good bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home