World of George

ALL GEORGE, ALL THE TIME

Friday, November 18, 2005

First off, a few lines from my favorite "I hate my ex-girlfriend" song, "Jude Law and A Semester Abroad" from Brand New:

I hope the next boy that you kiss has something terribly contagious on his lips.
And then later:

And even if her plane crashes tonight she'll find some way to disappoint me,
by not burning in the wreckage, or drowning at the bottom of the sea.

I don't know that girl, and I don't want to.

Later on the same album ("Your Favorite Weapon") is a song called "Last Chance to Lose Your Keys" with the priceless line:

It's girls like you that make me think
I'm better off home on a Saturday night
with all my doors locked up tight.

This guy has serious issues with the women in his life. But Brand New are a great band, like emo with an IQ above room temperature. And I love a lot of emo bands, but the depth of their lyrics is not one of the things for which they tend to be known. Brand New may have the most pretentious song titles I've ever encountered, but they are a great clever band with lyrics that are both subtle but very much to the point (like the girl in "Mix Tape" about who he sings "I'm sick of your tattoos, and the way you always criticize the Smiths... and Morrissey", adding a few lines later "But when I say let's keep in touch, I hope you know I mean I wish that you'd grow up"), and worthy of much more attention than they've received.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home