World of George

ALL GEORGE, ALL THE TIME

Saturday, January 14, 2006

I voted today in the advance poll. I won't say who I voted for, but this was the most difficult time I have ever had in picking a candidate. The established parties are either a travesty or a cipher, and the newer parties are vague about their ambitions. I actually sat in the booth staring at the ballot while I tried to decide where my "X" should go. Ultimately, I followed my instincts and picked the party whose platform seemed most reasonable and attainable. But my sense of discomfort after was unsettling. I have no idea whether I made the right choice, only that I at least didn't make the wrong choice. It's slight consolation.

* * * * *

After months of debating whether we should or not, this morning we purchased a new television. It's a 27-inch RCA flat screen with surround sound, replacing our 13-year-old 20-inch Sony. I had trouble getting the VCR and DVD player to work, and had to abandon my efforts so the girls could check out the TV. Needless to say, they were much impressed. I'll get everything else running tomorrow.

Before buying the TV, we stopped by Rogers and swapped our old digital cable tuner for a new dual tuner PVR (personal video recorded). This allows us to record up to 50 hours worth of programming onto a hard drive. I already successfully tested it this afternoon. You can save programs as long as you like, or delete them automatically after a certain number of days. The rationale behind upgrading (at a cost of $14 a month) was that "24" is starting this week and I'm in school on Monday nights. Regardless of the PVR, Jack is going to be smokin' on our new TV.

I have been interested in doing this for awhile, mainly due to The Movie Network's ridiculous programming. It seems that all the movies I want to watch either run during the day while I'm at work or running around with the kids, or late at night when I'm either asleep or heading in that direction. There is almost never anything on worth watching from 6:00 to 10:00 p.m., which is the range during which I like to watch movies. I also often watch movies from 5:00 to 7:00 a.m. while the girls are still asleep, but TMN starts their new programming day at 6:00, which is too late to avoid being interrupted by the kids. Now, it's under my control.

The other thing this will allow is for me to take advantage of the classic movies on other channels besides TMN, whose scheduling practices are just as bad. The net result is that I will now be able to watch more movies than ever instead of wasting time with second-rate sitcoms and other diversions when my brain is cloudy late at night and I'm not quite ready to sack out.

A day of triumph, indeed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home