World of George

ALL GEORGE, ALL THE TIME

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

My favourite movie of the last few years (which is distinct from the best movie I've seen) is "Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle". I thought that in honour of this film I would start today's blog (and perhaps a few in the future) with a favourite line from the film. But a curious thing happened - as much as I still laugh at this movie, 10 or so viewings in, taken out of context there just aren't really any lines that on their own stand out. Now, my selections are limited by my refusal to use obscenities in this blog - hey, my ten-year-old wants to read this, and when I'm ready I'll let her - which causes problems with a movie like "Harold and Kumar". But then I think about how we tell our friends about our favourite lines from movies. There's always a lead up to the big line. We talk about who the characters are, what situation they're in, then give the setup and the payoff, often while laughing uncontrollably in anticipation of this punchline. Because few lines are so funny that you will laugh at them no matter what, and even those are improved by context. My favourite bits in "H&K" include Neil Patrick Harris, but even those involve the subversion of his Doogie Howser persona, in much the same way that Bob Saget's appearance on "Entourage" was so enjoyable. If you don't know about Doogie, or Danny Tanner, the lines just aren't as funny.

* * * * *

Having written an ode to George Clooney yesterday, I thought I'd better restore my status as a guys' guy by writing about a fellow who really does seem like one of us - Vince Vaughn. My favourite comedy this year was "Wedding Crashers", in 2004 it was "Dodgeball" (with "Anchorman" a solid #2) and in 2003 it was "Old School". Vaughn is the common denominator, and I don't think that's a coincidence. (He was also by far the second best thing in the over-the-top "Mr. and Mrs. Smith", the best thing being Ms. Jolie's appearance.) Unlike Clooney, who seems comfortable enough with himself to come off as a regular guy, Vaughn's persona is all about being a regular guy. His characters, at least in recent years, are mostly relaxed and unflappable, but occasionally hysterical, hyperactive lightning rods for trouble, with hilarious results. There is a sense in this moment that a cinematic ride with Vince Vaughn will always be enjoyable.

Which is why I am just a bit distressed by the trailer for "The Break Up". But I don't blame Vaughn, at least not yet. No, this one lies at the feet of Jennifer Aniston. Let's not pretend here, folks - the girl just isn't very funny. Perhaps it's the snotty look that makes you want to smother her with a pillow. Perhaps it's the delivery, which swings between the polar opposites of bored and hysterical, with no stops in between. Maybe it's the fact that she has coasted on "cute" for so long (to great effect in the early years of "Friends", though not so great later on) that she doesn't know how to do anything else any more. No matter what, her appearance sucks the joy out of a comedy, and this movie will only work for me if Vince seriously kicks her butt. The trailer, which has her and her female friends forcing the other men in their bowling group to join together in turfing Vince, does not auger well.

By the way, on the subject of Ms. Aniston's butt, no less an authority than Denise Richards considers it the best of its type that she's ever seen. Now, Ms. Richards was long a personal favourite of mine until she married petri dish Charlie Sheen. Her figure is no slouch either, confirmed by her recent election as the sexiest mom in Hollywood. If Jen has her seal of approval that's enough for me - and based on the recent magazine cover I spotted while dashing to my train, I must concur. That does nothing to change my opinion on her comedic talents.

Oh, and connecting all of this together, how about that Brad Pitt? He goes from Jennifer "best butt" Aniston to Angelina "yes, she's perfect" Jolie. Sure, it's a step up, but it's not like you weren't living high already. Some guys are just too greedy. (It also reminds me of a daytime talk show I saw years ago about a girl who was obsessed with Pitt and convinced she had only to meet him to win his heart. Lady, I hope you've moved on, because you were delusional then and you were no Jennifer Aniston, let alone Angelina Jolie.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home